Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Long Walk to Water: A look at Nya

So, while reading this book I was wondering why is Nya's story in the book at all.  I mean it isn't as gripping as Salva's story is and is a lot shorter and simpler.  But the author probably had a reason for putting it in because otherwise it wouldn't be there.  So here are two reasons why I think Nya's story is added to the book.

Nya's story might have been added for suspense.  It breaks up Salva's story so that you have time to wonder and worry about what is going to happen to Salva.  I think that this is a good thing.  It keeps the story interesting and fun to read.  Where I normally don't like suspense (I read the last 200 pages of the 7th Harry Potter book before reading the rest of the them) here it adds a nice touch.

Nya's story also might have been added to flesh out Salva's story.  Salva's story can't exactly describe the hardship of day to day life, stay interesting, and give you the whole picture because it takes place over such a long period of time.  In a way, Nya's story helps you imagine what Slava's day to day life is like.  This is important because it helps you look even deeper into Salva's life and story.  Overall I think that Nya's story is there for a reason, whatever that reason may be, and it added something to the book.

1 comment:

  1. So I haven't read the book, Polly. But, in reading your comments, I'm wondering if really the whole story is just about Salva and the only real literary purpose Nya serves is to be a contrast against Salva. In other words, you see Salva more clearly because there's Nya to compare her to. (Like Danny and Reuven.) Does that make sense? Do you think there's any truth to this? I'm not saying Nya's story isn't worth reading and thinking about, but usually an author has a main point s/he wants the reader to get, and the zillions of characters flying around all serve that purpose. So .I'm wondering if that's Nya's role...

    ReplyDelete