Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Guernsey (Correspondence between Juliet and Amelia Maugery)

So another pair of letters interested me today (actually not today but, that doesn't matter).  Juliet (the main character who lives in London) writes letters to Amelia Maugery (an islander). Amelia is one of the founding members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  Juliet writes to Amelia to see if some of the other members of the society will write to her. Amelia writes back mostly saying yes, but expresses her concern that Juliet may write an article in the newspaper making fun of the society.

Here comes the interesting part. Juliet writes back saying she will have two people write to Amelia, one person who likes her and another person who dislikes her.  Why would Juliet have someone write to Amelia who doesn't like her, or as Juliet says, "wholeheartedly dislikes me"?  I think it is because Juliet wants Amelia to be able to see two perspectives that people have taken on her. It will let Amelia see two sides of her and will let her get a better picture of her personality.  Having these two different people write to her shows that Juliet isn't exactly afraid of being turned down by Amelia and really cares that Amelia has a good picture in here mind of who she is. I think it was a good and interesting idea for Juliet to have two very different people send letters to Amelia.

Just a side note, the letter that the person who dislikes her sends to Amelia is quite respectful. This shows that even the people who don't like Juliet still respect her. I think that that is an important thing for Amelia to know. I hope the same would be true for me.

5 comments:

  1. That's so interesting! Would have never thought about it that way. (of course I've never read the book but...) BTW the same is true for you (although I can't think of someone who would respectfully send you a hate note :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! The same is true for you too but, I also can't think of anybody who would send you a hate note. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think- regarding the letters to Amelia from different perspectives- that you made a really good point. Even if someone doesn't necessarily like you, or "wholeheartedly dislikes you" you'd a) want to know, of course and b) you'd want to knwo why (at least, I would). Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's more important to know why your "dilikers" dislike you than why your "likers" like you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Sorry, I can't type... I meant "dislikers" (because that's a word, right?).

    ReplyDelete