Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

So, yes I actually am reading a book which I'm calling Guernsey just because it has such a long title.  So, the book takes place on the island called Guernsey located in the English Channel and also sort of takes place in London.  The island was one of the few parts of England that the Germans occupied during WWII.  The book is written in letters which is great because then you get to see the story from many different perspectives.  One of the letters particularly interested me.

This letter was sent between one of the residents of Guernsey (Isola) and Juliet (the main character, an author who lives in London).  Isloa is sort of nosy but not in a bad way.  She likes to get to know people and really seems sweet. Here is a quote from the letter she sent Juliet. "I see it that you cared to know about us, so I guess you would like us to know about you--only you just didn't happen to think of it first." I think that it is an interesting idea to assume people want to be asked questions. I know I, at least, liked to be asked questions about myself.  I think that it was very nice of Isola to ask about Juliet about herself, and I know Juliet appreciated it.

She then proceeds to ask Juliet many questions about a picture she saw of her: "Do you live by the water?" "Do you have a serious suitor?" "Is your flat cozy or grand? Be fulsome, as I want to be able to picture it in my mind." Isola says these questions are, "highly personal." Even though they are highly personal, I think they show that Isola is really interested in being friends with Juliet.

Besides telling the story of Guernsey and of Juliet, this book also talks about a good community (like The Human Comedy).  Isola is part of this community and this letter is an insight into the person who she is, caring and interested in others' lives (in a good way).

2 comments:

  1. Do you think there is a line of when there are too many questions and they're too personal, and where do you draw that line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Hannah. Maybe it depends on the person you're asking? And what your position is in relation to her?

    ReplyDelete