At the end of the book Juliet (the main character) marries Dawsey (the islander who first wrote to her). I thought that I would look through the book for things that might have foreshadowed Juliet getting married.
Just before Juliet comes to Guernsey, Amelia (an islander) sends a letter to Juliet saying many things, but ending with how excited she is that Juliet is coming. She writes, "There is no more beautiful approach to Guernsey than the one by sea... That is the way I first saw Guernsey, as a new bride." This is Juliet's first time coming to Guernsey, while she isn't a bride, she will be, so Amelia's comment is foreshadowing.
This quote doesn't only foreshadow something about Juliet's life but about Amelia's life and everyone's life in the Literary Society. A new bride represents starting a new chapter in life. When Juliet comes to Guernsey the lives of many of the Society members change. For example, Dawsey becomes a little more talkative and less shy. When Juliet comes she lives with Kit (a shy, hard to please, orphan four-year-old, and child of one of the founding members of the society). Kit slowly becomes more comfortable with Juliet and their relationship becomes like mother-daughter. This also changes the lives of the society members.
Amelia's comment foreshadows many things to come in the book. Who knew?
wow, polly, you really read deeply into your book. Good job. Having not read the book, I don't know for certain, but it seems that you are assuming the right things with that quote.
ReplyDeleteYup. Ruli's right :-) You do read deeply.
ReplyDeleteGood for you!
Now I'm anxious to read it myself.